Sunday, April 13, 2014

Mt Wilson loop, 28 miles, beautiful morning!

This morning I got up early, and after 3 double espressos to provide fortification, got out and hit the Sam Merrill Trail at 6am to do my benchmark Mt Wilson loop run:  Sam Merrill to Echo Mountain (2.6 miles walk as a warm up); then run to the Mt Lowe railway and on up through the Mueller tunnel to the Mt Wilson Road and on to the summit (12miles);  run down the Toll Road to the Idlehour trail (16.5miles), drop into Idlehour, and run/walk back up to the AC 100 Sam Merrill checkpoint (22 miles), run down the railway , traverse to Echo Mountain and take the lower Sam Merrill trail back to Cobb Estate (27.9 miles).  The total time this morning was 5:31--the achilles behaved and the time is better than what I doing a year ago on this course.

 It was cool with a marine layer blanketing the valleys, sunshine above 4500 ft:

On the Mt Lowe Railway heading up towards the old Alpine Lodge


The views this morning were spectacular:
View west towards Mt Luekens from the north side of Mt Lowe


 





Note Added May 5'14:

If you are interested in viewing a track of this course see the track I posted at the Garmin Connect site:

Mt Wilson Loop, 30 mile version

Note that the track linked contains a dog-leg that heads east from Inspiration Point, a work out I did on July 21, 2013 in preparation for the 2013 AC100.  My track for the workout above (April13 '14) seems to be corrupted.  Enjoy!

3 comments:

  1. Fredippides: Love your blog. Wish you would post gps tracks of your runs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you like the blog! Thank you for the feedback.

      Regarding GPS tracks: I hadn't thought to post them before your question. I just did a quick look through the blogspot documentation and don't see an easy way to upload the track file. (Its set up to handle images easily but not other types of files). If you are familiar with Google's blogspot and know how do do it, please leave a comment or shoot me an email at pcsercel@gmail.com. Meantime I will continue searching the various posts for how to do this.

      In any event if you shoot me an email I will send you the tracks for any of the routes you are interested in.

      Best regards,

      Pete

      Delete
    2. OK. I figured out a solution- to upload tracks to Garmin Connect. I uploaded a track for the Mt Wilson loop and linked to it
      in the post above...actually a slightly longer version. The April 13 track seems to be corrupted and isn't downloading off my GPS.

      Delete