Sunday, May 1, 2016

May 1, 2016: Resting a bruised knee

One week ago on a 27 miler I caught a toe running fast down a fireroad and bruised my right knee badly landing on rocks.  I also evidently lightly strained the muscles in my right hip area in that fall, as the hip flexors were sore immediately after that fall as well.

I iced the knee on and off that day and decided I'd take a few days off from running and walk instead.  Between Monday and Thursday I walked 26 miles, and while the knee was OK during these walks, I still had to limp down stairs at work.  By Thursday night the knee was still swollen and not able to bear weight when bent.  I decided to back off even further and rested completely Friday through Sunday.  Now Sunday, after this rest, its still tender to the touch and stiff.

I went through my journals to the last time I banged my knee cap hard-  in May 1997 I did something similar and it took about 7 weeks to get back into training.  The good news then was that I was able to get back quickly and ran a 6:46 50 miler at the McKenzie River Trail run later that summer.

I need to decide what to do about SD100 as the race is in 5 weeks.  I need to decide whether to get checked out by a doc as well.
____

This morning I caught up on some chores and did a core and hip workout:
  • 27 +20 pull ups/45 pushups/200 sit ups
  • SLRs, 3x10
  •  1-leg glute bridges, 3x10
  • RDLs, 3x20
  • Lateral leg lifts, 3x20
  • clamshells, 3x10
  • Standing leg lifts at 45 degree angles (6 directions, 20 each)
  • Stretch routine including piriformis stretches
___

I stumbled across a poem while internet surfing about ultra running last night.  It was attributed to Rub White by the poster:


              The Runner's Paradox

            I seek the finish, I crave the finish, the finish is my friend
           And yet the black dog waits for me, for finish means the end.


           © Rob White 2015



This was posted in a comment on an extraordinary video about ultra running that captures how I am feeling about now pretty well:



No comments:

Post a Comment