Sunday, January 24, 2016

Again, Mt. Wilson: Hip exercises paying dividends

This morning I again did the Mt. Wilson 20 miler, walking from Eaton Canyon Nature Center to Wilson summit, then running down.  I had taken yesterday off, just walking 4 miles with my wife to get groceries and doing a core strength routine.  I was feeling a bit run down with a cold and was also a little gun-shy as the right achilles had been nagging me since my trip to Gent.

The walk up clocked in at 10.3 miles on my iPhone running GaiaGPS.   I did the walk up in 2:39, just 2 minutes off my fastest ever 2:37 done in 2013.  I never broke 2:42 last season.

This is really encouraging as the power walk up really pushes the hip flexors and glutes.  Last year I just had never recovered full strength and walking speed following my 2014  acetabulum fracture and ORIF surgery to repair it.

For several weeks now I have been re-focusing on hip strengthening exercises-  glute bridges, stairs, clamshells, and knee-ups, as well as self-administered trigger point massage around the anterior and lateral aspects of the iliac crest.  These sites had, through the fall of 2015, become chronically  tender.  The deep pressure massage I had found to be very palliative.  These sites are no longer tender and my walking speed is finally coming back!

The total time of 4:03 gratifying-  it was a beautiful morning and I felt solid.

No comments:

Post a Comment