Sunday, January 3, 2016

Mt. Wilson walk-up, run down

This morning I did my old classic Mt Wilson 20 mile power walk up, run down: Time was 3:58.  From Altadena Drive just outside Eaton Canyon Nature Center it is 9.8 miles to the Cosmic Cafe water spigot-  time was 2:42.  Then I ran down via the upper portion of the Toll Road (a little longer)..total mileage 20.1.  The downhill split time was 1:16 for 10.3 miles, and I felt great.  I passed a half dozen or so mountain bikers on the downhill  which was indeed pretty fun.

My right hip flexors didn't bother me at all today which I credit to the core and hip circuit exercises I have been doing aggressively for the last two weeks.  These include one-leg glute bridges ( 3 sets of 20 per side), slow motion step-up exercises (3 x 20 per side...exhausting on the right!), rubber strap resistance exercises involving sets of 20 each of kicking out straight, at plus and minus 45 degrees to forward, to the side, 45 degrees to the rear, and to the rear;  clamshell exercises with a rubber strap;  and lots of sit-ups, push-ups and pull-ups.

The speed felt great this morning and the power walk up, while rather boring, is a solid conditioning exercise =  the views were spectacular from Mt Wilson, if a bit cold.

No comments:

Post a Comment