Saturday, September 7, 2013

Running again...Mt Wilson, easy

This week I have been more consistent about my mileage after having laid low since the AC100 to rest my achilles tendons.  After the race the achilles on both legs were quite tender-  understandable considering the 100 mile beating I gave them;  but worrisome in that after 2-3 weeks I was still seeing little improvement while the muscle and foot soreness was long gone.   I decided to back off and take some rest last week and through last weekend.  I've been icing both sides and a couple weeks ago I did use a 3 inch diameter roller on them-  very carefully! -- this week I've been walking and race walking rather than full on running,  to keep the stress off the achilles.  With a smooth race walking gait, which places minimal stress on the joints and achilles, I can easily manage 10 minute miles on flat ground, so its satisfying.

Its seems to be paying off.  I did my usual walk up/run down at Mt Wilson, 19.8 miles from outside the Eaton Canyon  Nature Center.  It was slow, around 2:50 up and 4:30 total.  But the right achilles didn't bother me a bit;  the left made itself known but didn't really hurt.  Today I ran in the Skecher Gobionic Trails.  The big toe box and 4mm drop seemed a good idea with my achilles soreness; also the portion of the upper that contacts the achilles area is nice and loose and doesn't irritate the achilles.  Last week I took an old pair of Merrel TrailGloves and slit the heels-  the Merrell's uppers fabric around the heel has no stretch and little of the usual foam  padding found in "traditional" running shoes;  in this case   I think that the fabric in contact w/ my heel may be irritating my sore achilles.  It did feel better with the heels slit to relieve presssure on the achilles.

I am icing both sides as I write this having gotten home and showered off.

Postscript Saturday evening:  The achilles on the left side has no pain.  The right side feels good as well, but is a little sore on the lateral side.

No comments:

Post a Comment